A social care worker wants to enable more effective communication with individuals using the service. Explain how they could access extra support or services that may be helpful.

NOTE: Please be aware that the information on this page is a very rough draft and has not been fact-checked so should be used accordingly (taken with a pinch of salt)! However, it should (hopefully) give you some pointers and set you off in the right direction.

Firstly, the social care worker should make a list of all the preferred methods of communication for the individuals using the service by referring to their Care Plans and consulting them individually. Then they can use this information to research what services are available.

Some professional services they may need to look into include translators that translate different languages, interpreters that translate sign language, speech and language therapists that work with individuals to create a tailor-made plan to help improve their communication.

Extra communication support can  be found from local or national charities and organisations as well as technology firms (for example, a visually impaired individually may need screen-reader software to be able to use a laptop).

Some individuals may also need to use an Advocacy Service if they are unable to put their views across themselves. An advocate is somebody who represents an individual’s point of view and communicates on behalf of them.