Learn, Do Not Copy!

Show how and when to seek advice about communication

This page is designed to answer the following questions:

There will be times when you will require the advice guidance of others regarding communication.

For example, if you are unable to find a way to communicate with an individual for any reason or you are finding that an individual often does not understand or comprehend what you are saying.

In these cases, you should (in the first instance) ask your manager for support. They will have the experience and expertise to help you to find an answer.

Other sources of support can include your co-workers, the individual themselves, the individual’s family and friends and other professionals such as their advocate or speech and language therapist.

Example question and answer

A social care worker wants to enable more effective communication with individuals using the service. Explain how they could access extra support or services that may be helpful.

Firstly, the social care worker should make a list of all the preferred methods of communication for the individuals using the service by referring to their Care Plans and consulting them individually. Then they can use this information to research what services are available.

Some professional services they may need to look into include translators that translate different languages, interpreters that translate sign language, speech and language therapists that work with individuals to create a tailor-made plan to help improve their communication.

Extra communication support can  be found from local or national charities and organisations as well as technology firms (for example, a visually impaired individually may need screen-reader software to be able to use a laptop).

Some individuals may also need to use an Advocacy Service if they are unable to put their views across themselves. An advocate is somebody who represents an individual’s point of view and communicates on behalf of them.