This page is designed to answer the following questions:
- 2.2c Describe how a learning activity has improved their own knowledge, skills and understanding (Care Certificate, Standard 2: Your Personal Development)
- 4.1 Describe how a learning activity has improved own knowledge, skills and understanding (Level 2 Diploma in Care, Personal development in care settings)
It is important for a health and social care worker to proactively and continuously learn and develop and one of the ways that knowledge, skills and understanding can be improved is by partaking in learning activities.
Learning activities cover a broad range of actions including:
- Formal training, either in-house with your organisation or provided by an outside agency.
- Meetings with colleagues and other professionals. Sharing ideas and experiences can be very useful.
- Self-study and own research.
- Meetings with manager, such as supervision, appraisal etc.
- Reflective practice or thinking about work you have done and how you may do it better in future.
- Own practice. The experience of completing tasks in own role gives you the opportunity to learn how best to do the work.
Improving Knowledge, Skills & Understanding
Thinking back to some of the learning activities that you have undertaken in the past, you should be able to identify some examples of how they have helped you in your professional development. You should also be able to evidence this in your day-to-day practice.
Or you may discuss a first-aid course you were on that taught you how to perform CPR – if you can provide an example of using CPR to save a life, even better!
Or maybe you could describe a time when you examined the incident record of an individual with challenging behaviour and identified a particular trigger that no-one else had noticed.
Shortly after joining my company, I completed an online course on Common Induction Standards, which included topics on medication, first aid, health & safety and food hygiene. I felt I learned a lot from these courses, particularly about food hygiene as I was unaware of many of the best practices. Examples included letting food cool down before putting it in the fridge and keeping raw meat separate from other foodstuffs. Now that I am much more knowledgeable in this area, I have benefited both professionally and personally.