Standard 15 of the Care Certificate is all about infection prevention and control.
It covers the routes of infection into the body, the importance of health and hygiene, personal protective equipment (PPE) and the safe handling of clinical waste.
It consists of just 1 learning outcome, comprising of 5 assessment criteria.
- 15.1 Prevent the spread of infection
- 15.1a Describe the main ways an infection can get into the body
- 15.1b Demonstrate effective hand hygiene
- 15.1c Explain how their own health or hygiene might pose a risk to the individuals they support or work with
- 15.1d List common types of personal protective clothing, equipment and procedures and how and when to use them
- 15.1e Explain the principles of safe handling of infected or soiled linen and clinical waste
NOTE: Some of the assessment criteria here link to the same or similar criteria in the Level 2 Diploma section.