This unit discusses the importance of good communication, the different ways that individuals communicate and factors that can affect it.
It goes on to look at ways that learners can improve their skills by discovering how the individuals they support wish to communicate and identifying and removing any barriers to communication.
Finally, the importance of confidentiality is discussed.
The unit is split into four learning outcomes each comprising of 3 or 4 assessment criteria.
- Understand why communication is important in the work setting
- Be able to meet the communication and language needs, wishes and preferences of individuals
- Be able to reduce barriers to communication
- Be able to apply principles and practices relating to confidentiality at work
- 4.1 Explain the term confidentiality
- 4.2 Demonstrate confidentiality in day to day communication, in line with agreed ways of working
- 4.3 Describe situations where information normally considered to be confidential might need to be passed on
- 4.4 Explain how and when to seek advice about confidentiality