The Level 5 Diploma in Leadership for Health and Social Care is a nationally-recognised qualification for individuals working in a leadership/management role within the health and social care sector. It is a required qualification for Registered Managers.
There are several registered awarding bodies (such as City & Guilds) that have designed the courses along with the learning outcomes and assessment criteria. The criteria (and unit numbers) can vary between awarding bodies. The courses are usually delivered and assessed by other training providers such as colleges in line with the rules and regulations of the awarding body.
The Level 5 Diploma in Leadership has a number of pathways, which include children and young people, advanced practice and residential settings, however this website focuses on the Adults’ Management pathway. This consists of thirteen mandatory units and a number of optional units. Your choice of optional units will depend on what the awarding body and your training provider can offer as well as personal preference.
The thirteen mandatory units are:
- Use and develop systems that promote communication
- Promote professional development
- Champion equality, diversity and inclusion
- Develop health and safety and risk management policies procedures and practices in health and social care or children and young people’s settings
- Work in partnership in health and social care or children and young people’s settings
- Lead and manage a team within a health and social care or children and young people’s setting
- Develop professional supervision practice in health and social care or children and young people’s settings
- Manage health and social care practice to ensure positive outcomes for individuals
- Safeguarding and protection of vulnerable adults
- Understand safeguarding of children and young people (for those working in the adult sector)
- Lead person-centred practice
- Assess the individual in a health and social care setting
- Undertake a research project within services for health and social care or children and young people
- Optional units
NOTE: This section is currently ‘in-progress’ as I am working towards my own Level 5 Diploma and will add my study notes for each section as and when I complete it.