Standard 6 of the Care Certificate deals with all forms of Communication.
It explores why effective communication in a health and social care setting and looks at meeting individual’s communication needs as well as reducing barriers to communication.
The importance of confidentiality is also discussed.
It comprises of 4 learning outcomes consisting of up to 4 assessment criteria.
- 6.1 Understand the importance of effective communication at work
- 6.2 Understand how to meet the communication and language needs, wishes and preferences of individuals
- 6.3 Understand how to promote effective communication
- 6.4 Understand the principles and practices relating to confidentiality
- 6.4a Describe what confidentiality means in relation to their role
- 6.4b List any legislation and agreed ways of working to maintain confidentiality in day-to-day communication
- 6.4c Describe situations where information, normally considered to be confidential, might need to be passed on
- 6.4d Describe who they should ask for advice and support about confidentiality
NOTE: Many of these assessment criteria are the same or similar to the communication unit in the Level 2 Diploma in Care, so the links will direct to this section.