This page is designed to answer the following questions:
- 15.1d List common types of personal protective clothing, equipment and procedures and how and when to use them (Care Certificate, Standard 15: Infection prevention and control)
- 4.4 Demonstrate the use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and when to use it (Level 2 Diploma in Care, Health, safety and wellbeing in care settings)
Your employer must provide you with Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as well as instruction, policies, procedures and training so that you can perform your job role safely.
There are many types of PPE including:
- Disposable aprons
- Disposable gloves – people that are allergic to latex gloves should be offered an alternative
- Eye protection such as googles
- Hearing protection such as ear defenders or ear plugs
- Masks to cover mouth and nose to prevent infection via respiration
You should be able to demonstrate how to use any PPE provided by your employer in line with their agreed ways of working.