Accessing Partnership Working Support - Care Certificate

1.4d Demonstrate how and when to access support and advice about partnership working and resolving conflicts

There will be times when partners disagree about things. This could be between agencies or between the support provider and the individual that they are supporting. When this happens it is important that you know how access support and advice about resolving these conflicts swiftly to avoid detriment to the service you provide.

The first port of call will be your manager or senior staff that may have the knowledge and experience to offer guidance.