This page is designed to answer the following questions:
- 13.1b Describe the main points of the health and safety policies and procedures agreed with the employer (Care Certificate, Standard 13: Health and safety)
- 1.2 Outline the main points of the health and safety policies and procedures agreed with the employer (Level 2 Diploma in Care, Health, safety and wellbeing in care settings)
Your employer will have several agreed ways of working or policies and procedures in place to ensure that employees comply with health and safety legislation and that risks to health are minimised as much as possible.
It is important that you adhere to these because if you don’t, you could be putting the safety of yourself and others at risk, which could lead to disciplinary action or even litigation being taken against you.
Some policies and procedures that may be in place in your own workplace could include:
- How to record and report an accident (e.g. online system, accident book, form etc.)
- How and where medication is stored
- Safe operating instructions for a piece of equipment
- Evacuation procedure and route (e.g. in case of fire)
- How to handle clinical waste
- Positive Behaviour Management Plan (e.g. what to do if an individual displays behaviour that challenges)