This page is designed to answer the following questions:
There have been several high-profile cases of abuse and neglect that you may have heard of or followed in mainstream media such as Winterbourne View, Stafford Hospital and Orchid View Care Home.
Investigations into these cases after-the-fact resulted in uncovering a range of failings. Some of the main factors that were exposed as reasons that the abuse and neglect occurred are:
- poor or non-existent communication between and within agencies and poor partnership working
- lack of person-centred approaches e.g. the individual receiving care and their family were not involved in decisions about their care
- failure to identify signs of abuse
- little or no management support or presence
- poor staff recruitment processes
- poor staff training and development (especially around safeguarding)
- staff fear of retribution for whistleblowing
It is important to understand where things have gone wrong in the past to ensure that mistakes are not repeated going forward.