Learn, Do Not Copy!

  1. Home
  2. >
  4. >
  5. Advanced Communication Skills
  6. >
  7. Describe the specialist services relating to assistive technology

Describe the specialist services relating to assistive technology

This page is designed to answer the following questions:

NOTE: Although this page has been marked as complete, it has not yet been peer-reviewed or quality-assured, therefore it should be considered a ‘first draft‘ and any information contained herein should be fact-checked independently.

The NHS commissions several specialist services relating to assistive technology.

These services can help recommend, procure and configure assistive technologies that support individuals to communicate independently.

Occupational Therapists (OTs) and Speech and Language Therapists (SLTs) will often assess individuals to identify which assistive technologies will best suit their requirements. After speaking with the individual, their family and carers, they will recommend assistive technologies. They will then provide the assistive technology and may also provide installation and training services.

More specialised services are available for individuals with complex needs.