This page is designed to answer the following questions:
The answer to this question will vary depending on your own particular role. You may work at a nursing home, in a supported living setting or day centre and each person’s responsibilities towards the people they support will be different. You may be working with individuals that have learning disabilities, physical disabilities or mental health conditions. They may be adults or children. Seniority of your position will also affect your job role. Some of your duties an responsibilities may include:
- Supporting individuals to meal plan, shop and cook
- Personal care
- Treating individuals with dignity and respect
- Adhere to employer’s agreed ways of working
- Work in partnership with the individuals you support, co-workers and external agencies
Details of your role and responsibilities will be given to you when you start your job in the form of a job description and should be explored more deeply with your manager during your induction period. You should ask your manager about anything you are not sure about or, if you have one, refer to your employee handbook. If you work for a larger company, they may have a Human Resources department that can offer further advice and guidance. Some of your duties and responsibilities may include:
If you have also enrolled to do your Level 2 Diploma in Care you may have been provided with an ERR (Employment Responsibilities and Rights in Health & Social Care) booklet which may help you to further understand your job role.
Here is an example of a job description for a carer:
Job Description – Carer
Main function of the job:
(Note: In addition to these functions employees are required to carry out such duties as may reasonably be required).
- To maintain care skills at a current level, and undertake such training and development as may from time-to-time be required to maintain that currency of practice.
- To provide care in accordance with current best practice, according to policy and procedures, agreed standards, legislative requirements, relevant regulations under the direction of the Manager, and within the financial plans agreed from time-to-time.
Working within the organisation:
- Develop effective working relationships with the other employees within the Agency.
- Support an open, positive and inclusive working culture.
- Participate in the development of the Agency’s policies.
- Participate in evaluation of the Agency against agreed organisational goals, business, and quality
- Work to establish effective employer-employee relationships.
- Minimise legal risks.
- Participate in the maintenance of the Agency’s management information systems.
- Assist in the formulation and implementation of care policies and procedures.
- Assist in the implementation and maintenance of the standards required by legislation related to the
registration of the Agency.
- Act within the Agency’s budget based on the Agency’s objectives and within the projected revenue.
- Work in a cost-effective manner.
- Be involved in the implementation and maintenance of the Agency’s quality assurance programme.
- Assist in the design and administration of an evaluation of the care standards and care service
- Systematically solve day-to-day problematical issues which arise.
- Assist in the development of the philosophy, goals and objectives for the care practice.
- Assist in the assessment of the effectiveness of care implementation and delivery
- Implement action to meet and maintain care standards.
- Work in cooperation with members of multi-disciplinary health teams in order to maximise opportunities for Client therapeutic care.
- Ensure Client rights are protected.
- Encourage a model of self-care and Client rehabilitation.
- Record relevant activities in Care Plans.
- Evaluate standards of care competence.
Professional Long Term Care Leadership:
- Encourage innovative methods for the delivery of care.
- Encourage health promotion within care strategies.
- Seek opportunities for personal and professional growth.
- Promote a positive image for residency and employment within the Agency.
- Cooperate with the implementation, evaluation, orientation and induction of all new employees.
- Support the implementation of the Agency’s policies and procedures.
- Support the effective resolution of team conflicts.
- Support a work atmosphere which promotes a high quality of work life.
- Support and maintain a culture of performance and excellence.